Voting

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Twisted, slimy, bitter-skinned vegetable of doom....


I don't like zucchini. I don't like it fried, fresh, chopped, sauted, or any other way in which the zucchini itself can actually be tasted. And yet, this time of year, thanks to gardeners all around and their generosity (!) toward me and mine, I never have fewer than 3 zucchini rotting on my counter at any given time. I make zucchini bread, which uses up at most 2 zucchini. How much zucchini bread should one person make in a lifetime, you ask? I don't know, but I'm thinking soon I will meet my quota.

Please, if you are feeling so inclined, skip me whilst you are doling out zucchini. For I am filled up with zucchini, and cannot make any more bread. Ever. Or at least until next year. But we have some new neighbors, perhaps you can unburden your zucchini load upon them.

2 comments:

Stine said...

I don't know if you like any squash at all, but we've sliced zucchini and squash the long way and then marinated it in italian dressing and then grilled it. It doesn't taste much like anything but italian dressing that way and ostensibly you're still getting some veggies. I'm guessing that still might not appeal to you, but it's the one way I've liked it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I will try that...we do that with chicken all the time, so if it removes the "zucchini" flavor, I'm all for it! So do you grill it in foil or right on the grill? I love butternut squash, have you done that on the grill?